The Scottish Government is planning to amend the minimum requirements for Energy Performance for the private rented sector. We understand from the Scottish Association of Landlords that the regulations will be amended such that properties will need to achieve an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of least:
- EPC of D at a change of tenancy from 1 April 2022; and
- All rental properties must have an EPC rating of D by 31 March 2025.
This will remove the requirement to achieve at least an E rating which has now been removed because of Covid.
Landlords should review their EPC rating to start planning for any improvements they will need to make over the next 18 months.
The regulations will provide for some exemptions, including where:
- It is not technically feasible to carry out improvements
- Where other owners in a block of flats refuse consent to do work to common parts of the building
- Where tenants refuse consent for work
- Where permission to carry out work to a property which is listed or in a conservation area cannot be obtained
- Where the cost of improvements needed exceeds £10000
If you need advice on what you need to do to bring your property up to the required standard, we will be happy to help.